COVID-19 & Muscular Dystrophy Q&A

Our Pediatric Neurologists have put together a list of questions and answers regarding COVID-19 and muscular dystrophy. For more information about COVID-19 please visit our COVID-19 and Kids page. To learn more about our Neurology team please visit the Pediatric Neurology Division website.

Am I or my child at increased risk for developing COVID-19?

We are not aware of any evidence that people with muscular dystrophy are at increased risk of contracting COVID-19.  We are, however, concerned that individuals with muscular dystrophy who contract COVID-19 may be at increased risk of complications.

What would put me or my child at higher risk of complications of COVID-19?

Pre-existing respiratory or cardiac problems may put you or your child at increased risk of complications.  If you feel that you or your children are in a high risk category, you should have a lower threshold for seeking testing for symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 and, if diagnosed, monitor very closely.

What can I do to lower the risk profile?

Observe social distancing recommendations as strictly as possible.  Minimize the number of outside contacts and errands.  It is important to wash hands and, depending on the situation, even change and shower when returning home.