Class of 2020 Medical Student Award Recipients

We would like to take a moment to recognize our 4th year pediatric medical students for their achievements and dedication to our field. Congratulations and thank you for all your hard work!

2020 Dean Mitchell Baker Award – in recognition of overall excellent performance in Pediatric Cardiology

Joanne Alfred
Joanne Alfred

Joanne Alfred

Undergrad/Grad School:
Covenant College (Psychology, B.A./University of South Florida – Medical Science, M.S.)

Residency:
UNC – Chapel Hill

Future Plans:
I hope to end up at an academic center, working closely with medical students, and having a strong focus in mentorship, humanism, and wholistic care of patients. I’m considering specialization in anything from Palliative Medicine, Adolescent Medicine, or even Cardiology and going to take my next 3 years at UNC to decide.

Personal Interests:
Playing volleyball and any kind of board game, looking for great coffee shops, trying new recipes and enjoying a good book or podcast.

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
My favorite memories were on Pediatric Cardiology with Dr. Co-Vu and Dr. Saidi. It was amazing to take care of newborns in the NICU with Dr. Co-Vu, and then go to clinic with Dr. Saidi and simultaneously take care of a father and son who both had congenital heart defects.

2020 STOP! Children’s Cancer Inc. Hematology/Oncology Award

Samantha Cresoe
Samantha Cresoe

Samantha Cresoe 

Undergrad/Grad School:
University of South Florida

Residency:
University of Florida

Future Plans:
Fellowship for Pediatric Gastroenterology

Personal Interests:
Personal interests include traveling to new places and engaging in just about any outdoor activity (when weather permits of course) especially going to the beach, hiking, and longboarding.

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
It’s difficult to pick just one, but I’d have to say my best memory is continuity clinic with Dr. Novak during the 12 week family medicine clerkship. The whole team I worked with was amazing and Dr. Novak really fostered my development both as a future physician with the mountain of knowledge she has, and as a person. I’m thrilled I have 3 more years of that to look forward to!

2020 Florida Pediatric Society Luther W. Holloway Award – in recognition on overall excellent performance in Child Health

Erin Bruney
Erin Bruney

Erin Bruney

Undergrad/Grad School:
UF! Biology and psychology double major in undergrad

Residency:
UF (triple gator!)

Future Plans:
I’m passionate about advocacy and the impact of income inequality on health disparities. I don’t know whether I’ll pursue that interest via general peds or a specialty yet.

Personal Interests:
I am obsessed with my dog and old oak trees. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the series Gilmore Girls. And I make weird paintings with too many colors, including a gigantic horned frog who lives on my bedroom wall.

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
I did not know a place existed on earth that is as cute as the newborn nursery. I couldn’t believe rounds included eliciting a Galant reflex on wiggling little babies! Definitely a perk in pediatrics.

2020 Hugh and Cornelia Carithers Award – in recognition of excellence in child health and human development

Rudolph Wells

Rudolph Wells

Undergrad/Grad School:
University of Florida 

Residency:
University of Florida Jacksonville

Future Plans:
My goal is to become a Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist

Personal Interests:
I enjoy being outdoors, exercising, and eating a healthy balanced diet. I also enjoy motivating others to become the best versions of themselves. My full name is Rudolph and I was born on Christmas day.

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
Best memory would have to be during my pediatric sub internship where I felt that I was an important member of the team and helping to manage and counsel patients in the hospital. I enjoyed teaching the third year students on a daily basis and showing them the pearls of pediatrics.

2020 Michael A. and Mary F. Solowy Memorial Awards – in recognition of overall excellent performance in Neonatology

Macie Wilkins
Macie Wilkins

Macie Wilkins

Undergrad/Grad School:
Johns Hopkins University 

Residency:
University of Alabama – Birmingham

Future Plans:
General Pediatrics – I am passionate about primary care, preventative care, and community advocacy.

Personal Interests:
I love swimming, biking, and running, Spanish, Jesus, and the beach!

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
Hearing that one of our patients with cancer who had spent over 5 months in the hospital with complications went home and is doing well!

2020 Guillermo J. Perez Memorial Scholarship Award – in recognition of overall excellent performance in Adolescent Medicine

Xavier Williams
Xavier Williams

Xavier Williams 

Undergrad/Grad School:
Bachelors/MPH/MD all at UF

Residency:
UNC Children’s

Future Plans:
Pursue fellowship in adolescent or hospitalist medicine and continue work in disadvantaged areas both locally and abroad.

Personal Interests:
Mentorship, getting outdoors, traveling, cooking, and eating food from different cultures.

Best Memory in Pediatrics:
Working with the coolest 4-year old in the ED who would fist bump me every time I walked into the room and called me “Dr. X.”